The annual season closing prize giving ceremony welcomed a new era as the first edition of the new FIM Awards was realised in the stunning ballroom of the Andorra Park Hotel in Andorra la Vella, Europe's highest capital city. Attending a signing session outside of the Centre de Congressos in the Andorran hills, the champions then took to the red carpet before proudly receiving their medals within the Hotel.
Almost five hundred guests including 35 of the 2017 FIM World Champions gathered for a very special evening that was hosted by British Gavin Emmett. He was joined by a number of high profile celebrities from the mountainous principality or motorsport like the cross-country legends Luc Alphand and Cyril Despres.
The Long Haul category was all about endurance and saw Chile’s Pablo Quintanilla pick up the FIM Cross-Country Rallies World Champion for a second year in a row. Husqvarna Factory Racing rider Quintanilla has won the 2017 FIM Cross-Country Rallies World Championship at the final round of the series in Morocco, the "Oilybia Morocco Rally". The Chilenian successfully defended the title he won in 2016 of the Argentinian Kévin Benavides and the Austrian Matthias Walkner.
FIM Cross-Country World Championship Riders Top 10
01) Quintanilla, Pablo (CHL) - 100 pts
02) Benavides, Kévin (ARG) - 97 pts
03) Walkner, Matthias (AUT) - 95 pts
04) Goncalves, Paulo (PRT) - 85 pts
05) Sunderland, Sam (GBR) - 84 pts
06) Meo, Antoine (FRA) - 41 pts
07) De Soultrait, Xavier (FRA) - 33 pts
08) Renet, Pierre Alexandre (FRA) - 31 pts
09) Van Beveren, Adrien (FRA) - 27 pts
10) McBride, David (GBR) - 27 pts
FIM Cross-Country World Championship Brands
01) KTM (AUT) - 200 pts
02) Honda (JPN) - 199 pts
03) Husqvarna (AUT) - 135 pts
04) Yamaha (JPN) - 72 pts
05) Sherco (FRA) - 27 pts
SHARE THIS ARTICLE